Saturday, June 19, 2010

Elderly Challenge- Observation 1

For the first week, I went to my maternal grandma's house to observe her based on the task we are supposed to do. To give a rough view of my grandma, my grandmother stay with my uncle and aunt. My aunt have 4 children and she went to work. As she is working, in the day, my grandmother have to do a lot of things such as taking care of her children, cooking, as well as doing the normal house chores. My grandmother is already 79 years old yet she is still strong but i feel scared for her safety.

When i went to my grandma house, i observe her but she did not let me take a picture of her. At that time, my grandmother is cooking for the whole family for lunch. She prepare all the things and put them beside the stove. All of sudden, she dropped a plate of vegetable that she was holding. The plate break and the vegetable scattered. I helped her then i realised then she had difficulty bending down and she will feel pain after bending down. I ask her why then she say she become like that after her age was like 70 years old. I ask her a few questions. Futhermore, the kitchen tabletop is quite high so if the elderly drop anything on the floor, they will have to bend down and it cause them to have a backache.There is also no railing at my grandmother house and she have difficulties walking around so she must walk slowly. That is what i observed about the elderly for the first week

No comments:

Post a Comment