Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Elderly Challenge- Observation 4

For this week which is the last week, I observed the area around Clementi. I observed the areas around Clementi because my school is at Clementi so it is near there. For this week, there quite a few observations I observed around Clementi. Sadly, I forget to take pictures as I was in a hurry.
The first observation I observed for this week is that there is a overhead bridge near my school. It is quite troublesome for some of the elderly because the road is an expressway so the government could not make any traffic light there. It is inconvenient and troublesome for some of the elderly because some of them, their legs are weak and fragile so they cannot climb up the stairs. Their grip may also weakens. Furthermore, the steps are quite wide and the number of steps is quite a lot. Those who do not want to climb up the staircase, they have to walk further until they reached a junction where they can crossed the road. I think it is inconvenient for them as they need to walk a few metres and they may tire themselves due to their age. 
There was once when an elderly come up to me and ask whether there are alternatives rather than taking the stairs. I told her that they have to walk all the way to the junction. She sighed and she walked slowly with her walking stick. I feel bad. The government should do something Clementi is a place where most elderly stay. There is an elderly home near the overhead bridge so if an elderly wanted to get, does it mean that they must walk all the way to the junction and walk back to where the overhead bridge is?

No comments:

Post a Comment